Sunday, June 1, 2008

Word

There are some vocabulary trends I keep right out of my life, especially if they're synonymous with "How lovely, dear!" I'm going to type the word 'sweet' now, and that will be the closest I will ever get to uttering it in that context. I say it enough in food-related sentences.

But lately I stumbled into the weedy trench that is 'awesome' and I feel so ashamed. It's not even a hot word anymore! and way way too easy to say over and over, flinging it indiscriminately at people or food or shoes or the freshly polished first 15 pages I wrote yesterday (but not the Sex and the City movie, apparently, unless you were a huge fan of the show in the first place, which includes enough of the population to make a tidy profit, so who cares whether or not it's truly awesome?)

Even 'fab' is less sticky outie than 'awesome.' Must. Go. Back.

Still, it's not as bad as when I was saying "Zowie!" every ten words. You can congratulate yourself on not having had to read my diary in those days.


Incidentally, when you don't see a new post from me here, it's because I'm writing. So give a little cheer every time that happens, okay? I need all the support I can get.

No comments: