Thursday, August 7, 2008

Furniture as Hook

I never think of myself as a writer of short stories, even though I've had several published (and have never published anything else.) I wrote four terrible novels before starting work on this much better one, and just spent two intense weeks on a nonfiction piece. The short stories were little flings I fit in between the other stuff.

And then yesterday a short story idea occurred to me and today, I definitely want to get started on it.

It's about a desk. It wasn't until this morning that I remembered one of my first published stories was about a chair.

Okay, so the desk and the chair are both family heirlooms, more or less. But still. I'm writing about furniture. I'm like the new mom who says Okay, baby name... (glances around room) Doorframe! Doorframe good with you guys? Doorframe Lightswitch. We can call her Door-ie, okay?

No comments: