Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Let's shed a little light on this affair

... as my father used to say, every time he found me in the living room poring over a book in the dusky light from the window, and reached to turn on a lamp.

It's only Wednesday and I think I already finished the hard work on both of this week's submissions. Once I've proofread and made minor adjustments I can probably release them to the winds, and get down to business. Knitting business, of course. I made a list yesterday of everybody I want to make something for and when the gasping and heart-clenching was over I decided I really can pull it off if I'm quick about it, which makes having the stories finished even better news.

It's a little daunting to think of not writing any more between now and maybe January, though realistically I won't have time to worry about it. What if I dry up? What if I get rusty? I've decided to look on the bright side, at all the stories that may be percolating in private, ready to rush out onto the keyboard the minute I've put the last of the turkey stock into the freezer. And the best news of all is that for the first time in months, I was able to look at my nearly-finished novel and not shudder with aversion. I was able to stick with a whole chapter and bring in entirely new perspectives that I can carry through to the next one. Merry Christmas to me!

1 comment:

Karen said...

Writers who knit, knitters who write...what's the difference, really? :D
And yes, I do find that letting my mind go fallow while I knit creates all sorts of space in my brain for interesting ideas to pop up. It's one of the reasons I do it, actually.