Thursday, January 22, 2009

Funny thing happened on the way to...

I had to be out of town for a while yesterday but before I left I had an anguished note from Karen, still trapped at her hotel just long enough to feel the pinch but not quite long enough to get to my house. So I found her this site, which not only maps out every yarn store in your vicinity, but includes comments and star ratings. I checked the hotel and then, naturally, the part of out of town for which I was headed.

Turns out the area's best-rated, most beloved yarn store is in my home town! I moved two years before I began to put off getting a driver's license and learning street names, but I knew instinctively where Robinson Street would be, like it has a yarn homing device*.

Stitch is so much a dream destination I grinned and would have danced a jig, except I don't know any and it was quite crowded with a knitting class and several other customers, a beautiful sleeping cat, a basket of drool-on-able colourful leather bag handles, and astonishing amounts of breathtaking yarn. Of which I bought not one ounce. Proud of me? I was too until I asked, furtively, "You do mail order, right?" And they do. I did buy two sets of Brittany Birch double-pointed needles, which are really, really good. Addi-type good. Still, no yarn. Karen, you must come to Grimsby with me as soon as possible! And those are words I never thought I'd say.

* Probably it was just that it's the same street our church was on, though.

1 comment:

Kathleen Taylor said...

it sounds like a fantastic store. I would love to visit it!