Friday, January 9, 2009

Synonyms in the wild

There are a million ways to say the same thing but when you substitute one word for another, there's always a slight change in the meaning. Try telling the difference between sour cream and a creamy vanilla yogurt without your nose or tongue and you'll know what I'm talking about.

Yesterday was a scheduled writing day - ideas in head, clear calendar, phone not ringing, snow behaving as snow should (seen but not heard making any sort of ruckus) - and yet I wrote only one paragraph. All I wanted was the aesthetic experience of winding my new yarn from the skeins it came in to balls I can knit with, because it is so soft under my hands and so beautiful I can't tear my eyes away. It's as mind-opening as visiting an art gallery.

So - procrastination? creative process? They mean much the same thing except for that one little difference of not getting the writing done. I did however go on not writing by updating my website with a new feature: Procrastinatory Projects!

No comments: