Tuesday, March 31, 2009

A wonderful day to buy a book

Have I raved enough on this blog about The Humber School for Writers and its vast excellence? Well, if not, rest assured its correspondence course, in which you can have almost all of a novel critiqued chapter by chapter by a very fine writer, and its week-long summer workshop are two of the smartest investments you can make in your writing.

I was fortunate enough to be placed in Wayson Choy's group for the 2008 workshop and one day, Wayson brought in the page proofs from his soon-to-be-completed second memoir. You know, so we could find out what sorts of things editors pencil into the margins when they're readying a book for release. I wasn't the only one who found this an incredibly generous act, nor was I the only one to read through a few pages and start counting the days to the actual release.

Which is today! If I wasn't stoic enough to hold out for the signing next week, I could walk into any bookstore and buy a copy of Not Yet: A Memoir of Living and Almost Dying. I looked last night and found two reviews already, both glowing, of course. Take a look at Quill and Quire's and at this one on Indigo if you're looking for beautiful writing to read.

No comments: