Monday, March 22, 2010

Studio Ghibli gorgefest

A little while ago I got hooked on Hayao Miyazaki's films. And a little while after that I decided I needed the entire collection, several of which arrived recently in one compact box from Disney.


I've seen all but one now and, even though I've watched them out of order without even checking to see what year they were released, it's been possible for me to see the evolution of the stories and the style in which they're told. It interested me yesterday to find that the ones I love best - the ones where the magical themes are explored with the most enjoyment and confidence - are among the most recent.

Is that a reflection of the audience's changing taste I wonder, or of a refinement on the part of the storytelling process?

Whatever the explanation, I do feel that watching all the films a few times is going to be a great way to pursue creative research.

Also: a great way to spend an awful lot of rainy afternoons. Because you know, it's either that or write something myself.

No comments: