Wednesday, June 16, 2010

How to make butterscotch brownies

This week is turning out to not be getting so very much done in it

but

I did make butterscotch brownies today.


The recipe I use is from this book, which may possibly be familiar to other Canadians of just old enough to be baking in the 1970s vintage. It's an old favourite of my family's and judging by the cut-up form in the back we ordered several more copies of it. To be truthful, it is a pretty great resource. Proof that you should never judge a book by its cover.

(I mean honestly, who would know from the pineapple thing and the creepy lobster and the mystery mess in that pot that there are great desserts to be had within?)


I hope it's not breaking any copyright to share the recipe here... since I can't find a copy of the book anywhere online and Cream of the West now appears to refer to a US-based cereal company, I think it is okay. I should know this sort of thing what with being a writer, shouldn't I.

Anyway my own version is modified very slightly for emergency people-are-coming-over use, such that it uses only the ingredients most likely to be in the house, with minimal cleanup because I am so very lazy:

Butterscotch Brownies

Preheat oven to 350 degrees
Line an 8" square cake pan with parchment paper
Blend together
1-1/4 cups Cream of the West Flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
Combine
1/2 cup soft butter
A little more than 1 cup lightly packed brown sugar
[*note: the original recipe calls for 1-1/2 cups, which is crazy sweet]
Stir in
2 eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla
Beat until light and fluffy, then blend in dry ingredients.
Pour into pan and bake for 25 - 30 minutes.

Then of course you can just lift the parchment paper out of the pan onto a cooling rack, and later store the remains (if any) still wrapped in the parchment in some other container.

I wonder what it would be like with chocolate chips in it?

2 comments:

TexNan said...

Yum! However do you line a pan with parchment paper so you can grab hold of it to pull the baked item out? I always simply cut to the size of the bottom of the pan and peel it off after baking's done. BTW have you checked out Linnea Sinclair lately? I'd lost track of her, but OMG! She's become extremely prolific and can actually be found on Wikipedia. (Does one write oneself up or does your publisher or a fan?)

Mary Keenan said...

Cut to size??? That would probably make for prettier sides, but - no. I just cut off a piece and then fold it up the edges of the pan so that I don't have to clean anything afterward. The side pieces do get a bit gnarled but - all the better to eat them myself while putting other nicely squared ones on the plate;^) Go Linnea! I don't know who does the pages - probably anybody - but I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if it was a fan in her case. She'd have lots!