Tuesday, November 30, 2010

It's a start

I gave in and went back to the thrift store on Friday for more feltable sweaters, having convinced myself that I simply don't have enough for this year's Christmas-gift crafting.

This of course turned out to be Not True, but it was fun anyway and I got some great stuff - 7 sweaters, in fact, for $20. And one of them, though small and nearly sleeveless, was made of baby alpaca. I'll share pictures of them when I've made them into something so you can see the Befores and Afters.

A few weeks ago I had a little time to cut off a lot of felted sleeves for fingerless gloves, and yesterday I sat down to blanket stitch a trim on one pair of them:

The best thing about this project is that the yarn I used for the edging was a little present from Melissa, some vintage darning wool with a marvelous label. I love being able to incorporate bits and pieces from people I care about into the gifts I make, don't you? It's such a good way to spread happy feelings.

So - one down, 426 to go, give or take. Wish me luck for a pair of actual mittens this week!

2 comments:

TexNan said...

Great project! I have some vintage yarn a friend sent me recently--probably not as vintage as yours though. She bought hers for a project in the early '90s, which she never made. I may never do anything with most of it but have used some for a lovely tea cozy. Will post pics on my blog when I'm finished--once I return home after T's surgery, that is.

Kathleen Taylor said...

Fantastic!