Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Cherry blossom time

On Monday it was brought to my attention that there are cherry blossoms blooming in High Park.  High Park is pretty much on the other side of the city from me, but by a freak scheduling accident yesterday I found myself by midafternoon with fresh bread from the bakery for sandwiches and some friends who wanted to go see some trees and eat a picnic supper.

It wasn't a sunny day, but that didn't seem to bother all the other people who wanted to see some trees.


Seriously, the people watching was incredible.  So many pretty young girls in fancy gowns or otherwise elegant attire posing with trees or rocks for their boyfriends and said boyfriends' telephoto lenses!  So many high heels for the 45-minute blossom walk!  So many white blouses and dresses!  None of which turned up in any of my pictures.  (I felt a little silly taking pictures of that when everybody else was pointing their cameras at trees.)


But the blossoms were also amazing.  I've been to Washington D.C. in May so I know cherry blossoms can be spectacular, but I don't remember this sea of white where you usually see green.


Soooo maaaaany trees!  2000 apparently.

And so many blossoms.


While in the park I spotted other cool things, like evidence of bona fide Canadian beavers


orangey-yellow crocuses



and an odd dirt heap


that turned out to be a maple leaf-shaped flowerbed.


I really gotta get over to High Park more often.

1 comment:

heklica said...

Aw! This is enchanting!