Thursday, September 22, 2011

A vest from a sweater

The other day I discovered I'd missed by 24 hours a small friend's birthday.

PANIC

Plus, she has everything.  Fortunately I have a cupboard full of more than everything.  Specifically, this previously-felted sweater:


Prior to the panic it was in one piece.  But it didn't magically burst into segments - I had to snip.

Today we will look at what came of the body part.  First, some blanket stitch:


Pretty pretty blanket stitch, will I ever tire of you?  Especially now that I know to turn in the raw edge and catch it with some of the stitches so you get a nice clean finish?  (had I but disovered this trick before the vest project...)


The blanket stitch is burgundy because nothing else looked better and because I also had these cute flower embellishments in the cupboard:


You may have to trust me on the beads being the exact same shade of burgundy.  Also on the flowers being a rich purple, not at all this weird blue that the camera interpreted.  I sewed on bar pins - more stash cupboard genius - so that Small Friend's Mum can remove them when washing the vest.

This is what they look like on.  Cute?


I deem the vest Cute.


I just hope nobody minds the pink angora fluffs that are gonna be all over whatever she wears it with.

No comments: